Hurricane season is officially upon us, running from June 1 through November 30. NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predicts an above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season which means it’s now more important than ever to prepare your business for storms.
At Computer Business, we want to ensure that you are prepared every step of the way. Now is the time to put together your hurricane preparedness kit. We suggest that your kit includes the following items:
- Heavy-Duty Tarps: To cover equipment in server rooms and network racks that cannot be easily wrapped and requires ventilation. These can also be used to seal roof damage after the storm
- Weather Resistant Tie Down Straps: Provides easy tie down for tarps
- Large Heavy-Duty Trash Bags: Wrap electronics that are sensitive to water damage.
- Portable Lamp: For power outages.
- Extra Batteries for Lamp
- Duct Tape: Used to seal wrapped electronic equipment. It can also be used to seal Weathertight storage box contents placed in it during the storm.
- Utility Knife: To cut tarps and trash bags as needed.
- Weathertight Storage Box: Store contents of storm preparedness and sensitive papers and media.
It is also imperative to have a plan in place ahead of an impending storm. We recommend the following plans be in place prior to a storm:
- Assign someone to take home your main backup device if offsite backups are not being performed. We can assist you in identifying this key individual. Should this person be evacuated during the storm, make sure they bring the device with them.
- Plan for business continuity in the event the office is damaged and employees need to work remotely. This includes having main phone numbers forwarded, the ability to print, pre-preparation of payroll and access to email.
- Make a contact list of all employee cell phone numbers in the event the office is inaccessible, this way staff can still communicate during the recovery.
We want to make sure your business is ready for hurricane season and we are giving away a hurricane preparedness kit. The kit will include everything we have listed above to ensure your business is prepared. Please fill out the form below to be entered to win. The winner will be contacted on Monday, June 8, 2020.
Congratulations to Andrea D’Amico who won our Hurricane Preparedness Kit!
If you have any questions about your current IT services in regard to storm preparation, please feel free to contact us today.